From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:07:07 -0400
Keren, I saw her add and sent her my opinion that
it may be a bad idea to send brood comb for various
reason.  I also corrected some errors for her.

http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/blog/comb-collapse-alert/

The idea was to prevent brood comb collapse which is
circulating the internet, so much so that a beekeeper at
the WCBA picnic gave a speech against the use of
starter beads in top bar hives, which I had issue with.

Now I believe the painting of a wide swath of beeswax
is being confused with a thin starter bead, and that
adds to the confusion.  A starter bead is not the same
as painting the bottom of the bars with a layer of wax.

errors in her ad:
* Brood pheromone comes from the brood itself and not the brood comb.
* Lemongrass oil has components contained in Nasonov not queen pheromone

I sent this recommendation to her:

Painting a wide band of wax on top bars is perhaps a
bad idea. I recommend using a piece of beeswax melted
into a solid bar, and a fine line drawn on the top bar,
where you want the center of the comb to be started. Years
of using this technique I have found a fine line of bees wax
does not interfere with comb adhesion.  You do not need
more than a trace of beeswax in a line.

Joe Waggle