From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:41:22 -0500
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Reply:
>Meaning for suppression of bees immune system by mite?
>Could it be less foragers for propolis to keep the
>sterility of the broodnest intact? Or having propolis on
>hand to bees to eat?

According to research, it is less quality and quantity of pollen and yes I
would imaging quality of propolis collected, plus mites, plus bacteria the
cause.

>So what causes colony death then actually with DFW virus?
>What makes it kick in to hurt? or not hurt a hive?

According to researchers a combination of varroa, DWV and harmful bacteria
ALL need to be present for it to collapse a colony, and DWV and varroa
needed to show symptoms of DWV.

What
>does it do to a hive with them running around this way
>other then having an impact on division of labor for in
>house cleaning duties, etc, or maybe shorten life of bees?

According to research that a varroa infestation can affect quality and
quantity of pollen foraged.  So a long lived or division of labor in
itself may not provide adequate remedy if the bees are not getting the
quality and quality of nutrition they need to begin with.

>Just what is meant by presence doesn't cause colony death?

Just what I said,  same as AFB can be present and not show clinical
symptoms. viruses can be present and not cause death or show symptoms.
Supporting this statement is research that found viruses present in “100%
of the queens tested“.  In examination of  10 queens,   researchers found
the viruses BQCV, CBPV, DWV, KBV, and SBV were present in one or more
queen tissues. The presence of DWV and BQCV was found in 100% of the
queens tested

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'