Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 07:43:46 -0700
From: kurt:
Brown sugar is just regular white table sugar (sucrose, beet sugar, cane sugar)
with molasses added.

Hi Kurt,
      You just taught me something new.   I almost jumped in with doing any
research on the subject.  You are right in as far as you go.  I think brown
sugar can also be a product that has not been fully processed into white table
sugar.  Below is what I found on the web.  I had always thought brown sugar was
just not completely refined white sugar.   Now I know better.     But, do know
that brown sugar is NOT good for bees.  It has just too much ash and other
solids for the bees digestive system to be able to handle it well.  And in the
winter, it's a sure death sentence for a hive if it has to resort to stores made
from brown sugar.

Mike

Brown sugar is a sucrose sugar product with a distinctive brown color due to the
presence of molasses. It is either an unrefined or partially refined soft sugar
consisting of sugar crystals with some residual molasses content, or it is
produced by the addition of molasses to refined white sugar.