From:
ANDREAS SCHCK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 14:49:22 -0400
John Day wrote:

> hi there,
>
> anybody got a good way to keep little black ants out
> of the colonies?  i have 6 colonies on a long board about
> 1.5 feet off the ground.  the ants have a nice little highway
> trekked out for themselves to the various hives.  i'm sure the
> buggers are eating like crazy.
>
> thanks,
> john

Hi John,the ants were a big problem for me to. But don't worry about any
more:
Just dust Diazinon around the "legs" from your hive stands or around the
bottom of the long
board. Dust the diazinon dry, don't prepare it with water, so your bees
will be protected
from ants a long time. Of course be carefull while dusting: Put the
Diazinon into a can ,drill holes of about 2 mm into the lid and clench
the lid well. With the holes downward strike softly against the lower
part of the board till you surrounded them.
I use to fight ants this way over ten years: Bees never got poissoned
but ants had to look for an other food sourse.

Thank's everybody who answered my question about high tension and bees!
(july).

Andreas Schuck
Paine-Chile
"I'm beekeeper because I'm paying for mi sinfull live!"