From:
Gary LaGrange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2016 20:34:16 -0500
> The FDA in the USA is rewriting Nutrition Facts labels that appear on
packaged food containers. It looks like jars of honey will need to be
identified as having "Added Sugar" being 82% of the product. Hopefully,
they'll amend the rules.

Last Monday our small commercial honey operation went through an FDA
inspection. The inspection was purely routine and part of a random selection
of food processors.  It was incredibly thorough. The inspector asked tons of
questions and went from hive to bottle in our operation. He watched every
stage of the process and it was a white glove hands on check. I asked him
about the need to change labels. His response was "No, As long as it is pure
unadulterated honey and it is labeled clearly as such, there will not be
need to revise the label."
We passed with one finding, The bleach solution in spray bottles used to
clean the floors, walls, sinks and tables was 150 ppm bleach. It has to be
50-70 ppm. The Auto Chlor machine we use to wash equipment was right on. The
inspector told me that the rules for honey operations have become more
stringent because they have found that too many processors believe that
honey is so low risk that they overlook strict cleanliness requirements.
Gary
Manhattan, Kansas