Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:24:55 -0400
Today I checked, for the second time, on a swarm that I hived a couple
of weeks ago.  This time, much of the brood is sealed.  The unsealed
larvae look healthy but there are lots of unsealed pupae at the red
eyed stage.  They are scattered and not in lines as is sometimes seen
if wax moths are at work.  I haven't seen this  pattern before though
and my assumption is that maybe the workers are uncapping because they
detect mites, but I could be wildly wrong! I don't know everything!  Is
it an example of hygienic behaviour?

Anyway, the weather forecast being promising for tomorrow, I intend to
give them a dose of formic acid unless, when turning on the computer in
the morning, I get howls of protest and good advice from you lot!

Chris