From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:02:25 -0700
James Fischer wrote:

> If anyone has been wondering what the government is doing
> with all the money they are saving by closing the Tucson, AZ
> Bee Lab,

I guess I'd better try to clear a little of this up, so, at some
personal
risk, here goes (as I understand it).   Of course, all closure plans are
on
hold at the present time. We await further orders.
   The Tucson Bee Lab funds are not to be "saved", but transferred to
the SW
Watershed Research Center in Tucson, which will also expand with the
added
$1.1 million into the Bee Research Center building. So no savings to the
taxpayer.  The Weslaco Bee Lab will also receive the same amount in
added
funds (from somewhere).  Does this sound like savings?

(opinions are my own, and info is the best I have)

ADDENDUM: I guess I should add that the main effect to bee research will
be the loss of all Tucson Bee Lab federal employees, temporaries, and
students, possible loss of about $350-400,000. in grants from private
and association sources, and the loss of the only federal honey bee lab
in the western US.