From:
Tim Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 23:14:31 -0600
I guess I need to give an expanded explanation of our process. We use a
double wall insulated steel tank which is insulated in between the steel
layers, it is heated by two diesel furnace burners that are hooked up to a
thermostat.
 It holds 4 supers at the same time.
Our method is: for new boxes-1.5 minutes initial dip. Used boxes ( great to
clean up brood boxes that haven't been in for years, also saves a lot of
scraping on honey supers)-2.5 minutes initial dip. We follow up with a very
quick second dip,
Which leaves more wax on the surface than the initial dip. We don't add
anything else to the paraffin, my feeling is we use to use gum rosin, but
with the dipping of brood boxes we are adding a lot of propolis.
While we do not paint, I believe you could if you left out the second dip.
Here in Canada, CFIA does not like painted boxes, can contribute physical
hazards. Realistic or not, I know our customers are sure impressed with the
paraffin supers, and these are
Big truck load buyers.
Tim Townsend