From:
"Bob St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 07:54:50 -1000
        There are many more alternatives to stupid and intelligent. Bees are
instinctive and reactive. They react to pheremones. They re-act to weather and
to crowding. We certainly don't understand how their reactions are ordered But I
don't be;lieve that they reason as a human would.
        Nor do they consider learned reactions as a dog or a pig does. I agree
that the hive is best considered a single organizm. Not because it really is but
because it is the best way to understand what is happening.
        I wonder if there might be several discreet variations in the queen
substance pheremone and the various other pheremones that probably run through
the hive. I gues the one most of us are familiar with is the odor we can detect
from angry bees. But do we have any idea how many more smell must be circulating
through our bee hives that we can't detect?
        I wish Adrian Wenner would address communication. I don't believe any
communication indicates intelligence. The bee can not lie. She can only react to
stimulants. She can not consider alternatives. She is adorable but she is not
smart.