From:
David Tharle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:53:57 -0600
 >Why would any manufacture go through the onerous bureaucratic maize
and enormous expense to register a product that can be cheaply
replicated by the user?

You had to meet the individual.  He stopped coming to our meetings,
because in the west, we were told him what he didn't want to hear about
all 3 products.  Then once he had registration on MAQs, he tried to pull
Mite Wipes out from under us because his product was licenced.
Fortunately we received support from the Professional Apiculturists that
it should be our right to choose and the regulators listened. Mite wipes
are now "officially" an accepted form of application.

We have never killed a hive with mite wipes, even back in the days when
we could only get 95% Formic and miscalculated the dilution. Only cut it
to 80%.  Realized it the next morning after application to about 500 big
fall hives. I was a wreck on the way to the field.  We were going to
pull them off.  Found most of the pads were already dry and in some
cases the bees were starting to haul them out.  There was little to no
brood in these and we found no ill effects so we left them. Nothing
showed up long term either. I certainly would not recommend this, but to
me it showed a margin of safety.

The MIteaways, Miteaway IIs & MAQs were a different story. Lots of
burned brood, queenless hives and hives that never recovered.

Dave Tharle
T'N'T Apiaries
Ardmore, AB