From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:10:16 -0400
David, this is something that I've noticed too.  I'm not sure whether it is
simply because I am running more hygienic bees, because there is less feral
population, or what.  But it sure is curious.

May be the widespread adoption of Tylosin. If most commercial beekeepers are using it and have stamped down foulbrood in their outfits, this would tend to reduce the incidence of foulbrood in general, irrespective of whether smaller beekeepers use it or not.

From BEE DISEASES AS FACTORS IN THE LIFE AND BEHAVIOR OF THE HONEYBEE COLONY. Dr. J. E. ECKERT, 1956: