From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:58:27 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Ainars
Millers <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I received no answer, but no answer also could
>be an answer. It could mean that in countries presented on this list is not
>common for associations of beekeepers to pack and distribute local honey in
>local market under own brand.
Quite a few UK Beekeepers Associations have a label which members can
use. I have not heard of any standards being set which occasionally
causes problems. I put it to our own association that we had a label and
a colleague proposed defining a set of standards which members would
agree to abide by if they used the label. It is still in committee. We
also tend to market our own honey in our own way. Each beekeeper has
their own outlets, some shops take several beekeepers' honey. One shop,
having followed the ban on Chinese honey, wants all I have left, the
cheapest honey having sold out. There is a UK Co-operative, sponsored by
Gales, our major honey producer and packer but so far as I know, no-one
here is involved, perhaps because prices are based on a mixed honey,
around 60% OSR, whereas most of our honey in the very far south-west of
the UK is wildflower honey.
--
James Kilty