Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2010 06:27:37 -0700
> ...yesterday I checked a deadout hive that one of my sons had put on the
> truck--had to have an impromptu AFB recognition session right there and
> then...  I'm not saying that AFB has disappeared--I just don't see as much
> of it as I
> used to.

This is the traditional AFB cycle which has been around as long as I have
been in bees and involved with inspection: about 40 years.

1.) AFB becomes a problem.  Beekeepers and inspection crack down on AFB and
clean up.  Everyone knows what it looks like.

2.) AFB becomes scarce and most new beekeepers have only seen pictures.
Experienced beekeepers and inspection services relax their vigilance, partly
due to the work involved in inspection and never finding any AFB.

3.) Back to 1.)