Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:07:52 EST
In a message dated 99-11-17 15:28:23 EST, [log in to unmask] (Regina
Valluzzi) wrote:

<< he informs me that the best way to obtain honeybee
 silk is to get a larva just before it seals itself up to metamophosize
 into a bee.  These larvae spin a thin casing of silk which is easy to
 obtain from a larva in the right stage of development.  We're a
 physicist and a materials scientist with an interest in insect silks,
 the biology and habits of bees are not a "strong suit".  Are there any
 interested parties out there who could perhaps be of assistance? >>

    I would think you could easily get a piece of brood comb from a
beekeeper, and would find some in the right stage to get the fresh cocoons.
Unfortunately this is a seasonal item, as brood rearing in the northern
hemisphere is now at its lowest ebb. If you will contact me in mid to late
January, after the queens get started again (I'm in coastal South Carolina),
I would be happy to send you a piece of brood comb, with larvae at about the
right stage.  I suppose the best thing would be to freeze it and ship in an
insulated box. In your area you'd probably be able to get this six to eight
weeks later in the spring.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm