From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2012 16:19:54 -0700
> Last night on the NBC National U. S. news there was a segment by Brian
Williams on neonics killing honey bees.

The film segment was staged.  If you watch the segment, look at the
behavior of the bees supposedly dying from clothianidin poisoning.  They
are not trembling.  So obviously not due to a neonicotinoid.  I spoke at
length with the producer.  You cannot trust the media for accuracy!

Re reporting:  Dan, you ask legitimate questions!

As Jerry says, you can submit a bee sample to Roger Simonds at
USDA "Simonds, Roger (AMS)"  <[log in to unmask]>,

Project Apism will pick up $100 of the tab (projectapism.org)..  Ask
Christi for details "Christi Heintz" <[log in to unmask]>.

Bee samples should be taken from the hive with forceps or brushed into a
ziplock bag, and then immediately frozen, and shipped on dry ice.  Be
careful to avoid picking up bees from the ground, as they will be
contaminated with any dust present, which may contain older pesticide
residues, as may your fingers (the testing is very sensitive).

Always best, if possible, to have the county ag agent, or some other
governmental employee to help with the collection to verify, and if
possible, to establish a chain of custody, in case of dispute.  Not
necessary for your own information.

> My home apiary borders over 500 acres currently being planted in (mostly)
> clothianidin treated corn seed. I have not had any issues in the past that
> I could attribute to corn (usually attributed to bad beekeeping!).

I have spoken with numerous beekeepers who do not notice any problems from
planting dust, despite their hives being next to corn fields.  Obviously,
some planters discharge more dust than others, and cause problems such as
being suffered by Bob's bees.

> > I was watching the last of the corn being planted about 50 feet from my
> bee yard. I went out and walked behind the planter for a while...very
> little (almost no) dust, didn't smell anything other than freshly broken
> dirt. Walked back to the bees...full pollen baskets, all looks 'normal'.

This is how planting treated seed should go ideally!

> >...if it turns out to be a deadout demo--what do I do?

Then by all means report it!  And take samples and freeze.  Email me off
list.
If no problems, please post to the List also!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA