From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 10:58:25 EDT
Paul

Re chemicals in CCD colonies that may drive out bees.

We are working on this question, and we have filed our first report with
NHB.  We have identified  more than 800 non-pesticide chemicals  in 'apparently
healthy', failing, and collapsed bee colonies from CCD  operations.

We've learned a lot, including mounting evidence of miticide related
chemicals in 2006-2007 bee colonies when compared to 1,000s of analysis  results from
our 8 yrs of work in MD in the 1990s.  We've also looked at  specific
contaminants like HMF and aflatoxins.  We're still validating  final results - but
the answer to date, we've LOTS of odd chemicals, but haven't  sorted out THE ONE
from the 800 or so that we've looked at to date.

You, more than most members of this list, know that there is no single
analysis test that does all chemicals AND no one's sure what many of these
chemicals are doing.  So, we started with the most obvious and the most  standard
procedures.  The chemical we are looking for may be buried in the  800+ chemicals
that we've identified, or we may need to use other analytical  methods to
look at yet more categories of chemical.

We've moved on to more controlled testing, having built a chamber that we
can put a colony into, isolate it from chemicals in the ambient  environment.
We've some specific ideas about what may be producing the  elusive chemical.
All of this takes time and money.  If you  want a faster answer, we're always
happy to take a donation to help the  beekeeping industry.

Jerry

favorites at AOL Food.