From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:04:23 -0400
Rett wonders how to re-queen without finding and killing the old queen.

The method I I've always used when I didn't t want to find the old queen is
to introduce the new queen into a nuc of 3-4 frames.  Set up the nuc the day
before you put the queen in and then you can free her immediately (the field
queens will have flown back to their hive).  No sooner than 3 weeks later,
put the frames from the nuc into the old hive, taking out an equal number of
frames.

When I have done this, the new queen has always been the survivor and the
bees have not fought, probably because there are so many being introduced at
one time and robbery is not on the minds of any of the bees.

If you don t have extra frames, you can t do this

When all else fails and you need to find a queen, shake every frame onto an
excluder between two empty supers or hives.  The worker bees will fall
through the excluder, or walk off, as fast as you shake them.  Eventually
you will see the queen, as she can t get through the excluder.  She will
either be trying to get through or will be walking off.

I agree with Rett that it is risky to try to introduce a new queen to a
queenright colony.

Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds   the finest in comb honey production.