From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 08:46:55 -0700
On Wed, 2 Mar 1994, Adam Finkelstein wrote:

> I know a commercial beekeeper over
> > against the N. Dakota border that grafts all of the queens for a 1200
> > colonie operation, in Montana, in the winter.  He puts his breeder
> > colonies out the back door of a shed, and starts setting up in Febraury,
> > with the first break in winter, he is off and running.
> >
>  Interesting . He must have drones for mating. How does he do this at this time of year?

As I remember, he purposely keeps some colonies that are heavy drone
producers and saves Drone comb.  By pouring on the food, some warming
near or in the warehouse, and other tricks, he has drones very early in
the season.  Obviously, he times the whole operation to take advantage of
warm weather for mating.  But our MT winters can end abruptly, which he
counts on.  He selects for strong colonies with large clusters - figures
they may take more feed but can get off to a running start in the
spring.  Then he gives nature a helping hand so that he has his queens
when he needs them.  But he starts throwing food on his breeders and
sets  up as early as February so that these colonies are really storming
by April.  In mid-April, we often get an unseasonably warm break.

I always start my colonies about that time and 80 degree days for about a
week are not uncommon.  Sooo, he shoots for having everything ready to
roll by then.

Jerry