From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:13:47 EDT
Greetings all,

I was asked by some of Ontario beekeepers to write about this subject
"disinfection of AFB infected plastic comb". I searched the
scientific literature about an answer but I did not find any answer.
Plastic combs have been used intensively in the last several years in
honey bee colonies. Most of the reported  experiments were done on
wax combs.
The infection of the plastic comb with AFB spores
is a problem. I did not find any registered fumigation agent  to use
for disinfection. In tha past ethylene oxide at 1g/liter for 48 h at 43C
in fumigation chamber could be used for disinfection of combs and
boxes. As it turned out that the ethylene oxide could leave
carcinogenic residues in food stuff and was banned for this reason.

Suggested other chemicals can make the combs brittle. I would suggest
that gamma irradiation from Cobalt-60 can be used for disinfection of
plastic comb.

Remember, AFB is a real threat. AFB spores can tolerate heat and
remain dormant for years. If you wash the combs well and do'nt see th
spores (!!!!!) with naked eyes ??? it will not mean "DISINFECTION  of
combs from AFB spores".

Good luck.

Medhat Nasr

>      I saw the post concerning scraping the plastic foundation down after
> AFB infection.  I am a big fan of the Rite-Cell foundation. When I scrape it
> down, I also take it to the car wash and power wash it.  When finished, it
> looks almost like new.  Would it be possible to disinfect the foundation
> with bleach, or even a lye bath? Would AFB spores be able to withstand such
> treatment?
> Thanks,
> Scott Moser

Medhat Nasr, Ph.D.