From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:28:23 -0700
Thanks for the data Paul!  I'm in the same situation as far as working hard
to keep a small, but expanding (currently 1200 hives), operation going.

In the year 2000, after Apistan failed, and being forced to use coumaphos
as an alternative, I decided to see whether I could run an operation
without synthetic miticides (largely due to concerns of comb contamination
by the available products).

Since then I've used or experimented with most methods of mite management,
finally having the best success with selective breeding, splitting, and
using Apiguard (thymol gel) and then oxalic dribble in the fall (and in
nucs the past two years).  Since MAQS hit the market, we've been using it
at half dose when honey supers were still on.  For the last several years,
I've rarely seen a colony succumb to varroa/DWV, and see only a small
percentage that seem to be noticeably set back by varroa.

This summer is the first in a while that I've been uncomfortable with our
mite levels--too many in the 8% range in early August, despite our normal
treatments with Apiguard or MAQS at half dose.  That's why we are
reapplying MAQS at full dose, despite the hot weather.  I don't know why
mite levels are higher, but I suspect that it is due to unusually favorable
weather and pollen flows this spring, which allowed an unusually robust
degree of broodrearing.

We also set up a new trial this week involving 162 colonies started with
5-frame nucs (testing the pollen subs on the market).  In order to start
all off with equally low mite levels, I applied a single Apivar strip
(amitraz) to each (my first experience with the product).  I found it
preferable to use a 6d finish nail in the small hole to hang them, due to
the colonies still being in singles (a toothpick would likely have worked
as well).

One of the major values of this List is it being a venue for the sharing of
actual data, rather than generalized anecdotes, opinions, or sales pitches
for what one is sure "should" work.  We can learn as much from
carefully-monitored failures as we can from consistent success (meaning
that something works for more than a single season).  I encourage all who
are willing to take the time to actually monitor their colonies and keep
records to share information here.

Paul,  please share your Day 32 results when you get them!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA