From:
David E MacFawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:34:31 -0400
I have been using screened bottom boards for about 10-15 years.   However,
I  have noticed that the bees make their brood nest further up in  the brood
chamber.  I switched to the screened bottom boards for Integrated  Pest
Management (IPM) reasons based on Dr. Hood and Dr. Delaplane's  research.

However,  I am wondering if screen bottom boards are worth the extra  since
I typically do the "wash" method for testing for Varroa.  The  theory was
that when Varroa fell thru the screens they could not get back  into  the
hive, but I am wondering if this turns out to  be a smaller  percent than the
number of mites that are chewed by the bees.

What has been the current practical consensus / findings from the
experienced beekeepers in this group?  I am seriously thinking about going  back to
solid bottom boards due to the expense and I am suspecting that the % of
mites that fall thru the screen is a smaller % than that are chewed by the
bees.

Thanks,
Dave MacFawn
Lexington, SC USA