From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:21:40 EDT
Gheez!

CCD is defined by its symptoms.  These change with the season.   The  classic
symptoms were those seen by us and others in warm areas  in winter/spring
2006-7.

But, its a disorder - nothing says it can't happen in the winter - in fact,
my loss of 90% of our research hives in MT happened in February.  It gets
harder to diagnose (distinguish for other pathologies) at some times of the
year.  Our CCD colonies still ended up with the majority of the bees  fleeing the
hives - whether outdoors or in the shed.  Of course we had some  dead bees in
the bottom, but nothing close to the number that disappeared.   In our shed,
many ended up trapped, desperately looking for any exit.  Any  an amazing
number found their way out of our simple shed.  But,they didn't  want to stay in
their hives.

If they can leave the hive, they will.

What we DID see - no shortages of food (hives had plenty of honey and  stored
pollen), no bees head first and dead as would be expected if they  starved,
lots of brood for time of year, queen's were overdoing it.  Brood  was
developing nicely, then the bees fled.

Jerry

Home.