Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:54:46 GMT
>>Most of my hives are in single deep brood boxes with queen
excluders.  All are on screened bottoms which are full size and open
to the ground.  Generally the brood in these hives is  wall to wall
and down to the bottom bar, with the band of  honey at the top.

Bob, if you don't mind saying, what kind of honey yields do you get per hive with this hive configuration?  And is swarming due to broodnest congestion an issue for you?  I would think your spring build-up should fairly rapid in the relative coziness of a single deep - is that right?

I've been thinking about switching my hives to this configuration since it takes a long time to go through a 3-deep broodnest in the swarm season!  Using a single deep would cut the time by about 2/3.

Waldemar