From:
Gary LaGrange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 08:45:04 -0500
I don't recall a discussion regarding hive beetles but over the past three years we have found in this area, Central Kansas, a growing problem. At a recent bee club meeting of about 100 beekeepers nearly everyone raised the concern regarding treating for them beyond Beetle Blasters. Up until this year, I would see them in 10% or so of my colonies but this year they are in every one (only 60) and in significant numbers. Beetle Blasters catch many beetles but not enough. It would be good to hear from others regarding how you treat for beetles and what can be done to stem the tide. At least in this area it is becoming a problem akin to Varroa. The book solutions don't seem to be working.
Gary