From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:36:54 -0400
Just to fill out my previous comments, I have not treated with any
natural or other chemical for at least 6 years tho I do feed sugar syrup
and the pollen sub mix previously mentioned.  1997 to about 2004 I tried
some essential oils, formic, and mineral oil painted on hive walls.  The
most hives I've lost in one fall/winter is about 30 percent, mostly
early on.  Poorly mated queens due to cold or wet spring weather cause
some failures, (if they haven't failed in the august droughts). Also I
winter over a number of nucs some of which end up too small to survive
late freezes.  Varroa, tracheal, and nosema are factors I'm sure in some
losses. Some year when my health and work schedule permit I will try to
get some testing done to see what the loading is.  Most of my bees are
very aggressive allo-groomers, with lots of work around the wing bases
(another observation hive discovery), which Jamie Ellis believed (last
time I asked) was helping control tracheal mites that enter that spiracle.

Carolyn in the Western Piedmont of SC, USA