From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:41:06 -0400
Greetings
I realize I have already said a lot more than some want to hear on the topic, but there are plenty of examples of people buying and using products they don't need and the negative effects of such products. Agriculture is a prime example of this:

> Globally, we are applying excessive nitrogen (N) fertilizers to our agricultural crops, which ultimately causes nitrogen pollution to our ecosphere. Nitrogen is leached from agricultural lands as the water-soluble form NO3, which increases nutrient overload in rivers, lakes, and oceans, causing "dead zones", reducing property values and the diversity of aquatic life, and damaging our drinking water and aquatic-associated industries such as fishing and tourism. Why do some countries show reductions in fertilizer use while others show increasing use?

> For China, it was suggested that a reduction in N fertilizer application of 30% to 60% could be implemented for wheat,
maize, and rice while still maintaining current crop yields. Japanese rice farmers use less N fertilizer currently on their crops than in the past, with *no loss in yield*.

Fertilizing Nature: A Tragedy of Excess in the Commons
Allen G. Good, Perrin H. Beatty
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada