From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:39:35 -0500
I know there is alot of conflicting information out there about this. I
have heard some say it is not possible to be USDA Organic Certified for
honey, but I can't find anything to actually support this allegation. The
USDA maintains a National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances for
Organic certification, and Section 205.603 (Synthetic substances allowed
for use in organic livestock production) allows the use of "(2) Formic acid
(CAS # 64-18-6)—for use as a pesticide solely within honeybee hives." So I
don't see a reason why they would include that item if honeybees (and
honey) couldn't be certified organic.

My understanding is that the process involves filling out an application
and selecting a National Organic Program (NOP) accredited agent to perform
a report. Once the agent reviews the application, they perform a site
visit, an initial, and an exit interview. They are looking to see if you
comply with the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances and the
standards set forth by the USDA. Based on the application, site visits, and
interviews the agent writes a report on whether they approve or disapprove
of the certification. The agent gives the report to the NOP, who reports it
to the USDA. If approved, you can use the Organic USDA label and market it
as "Organic." The applicant is responsible for paying application fees and
all of the agents expenses (an hourly rate for them to review the
application, perform the site visits and interviews, write the report, and
travel including mileage and hotel costs if necessary). I've heard the
costs range wildly depending on the distance the agent needs to travel, but
the average cost was somewhere around $8,000. I believe that is redone
either yearly or every other year.

My understanding is there are no lab tests that are required to be
performed, and the site visit itself doesn't involve a review of the
foraging area the bees visit, but I've heard conflicting information about
this as well.

There is an exemption to certification if you sell below a certain volume
of products a year (I think it was in the $10k range?) that are labeled
"organic."

This is all based on my own research to determine if its worthwhile to
pursue, not based on actual first hand knowledge of getting certified. If
someone has more information, I'd love to hear it.