Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:28:46 GMT
>>Next spring I will watch more closely as these trees would appear to be spectacular when in bloom.
A friend, who reads this list, informed me that they have black locust on their country property near Mansfield Ontario 50km north of me.

I thought they could grow in your area.  Poland has a climate similar to Ontario and there are plenty of black locust trees there.  Although I think it's Hungary and perhaps Romania that gets a lot of surplus black locust honey.

>>The area in which I live is rugged with steep hills and  limestone cliffs and therefore mainly native species of trees and other plants.

Were I was raised in Poland the soil was also on the alkaline side.  The black locust trees did well there.  You may want to plant a few.  They are fast growers and the flowers put out a very nice scent.  Some nurseries carry them or you can bring young seedlings from an area that has lots of them.  They are great for the south side of the house providing welcome shade in the summer and letting the sun in the winter without heavy limbs to crush your house.  The small leaves quickly decompose in the fall so there isn't much of a need for raking.  [It is good to have leave guards installed on your gutters though...]

They also rated at the top as firewood and make rot resistant fence posts.  They are also good as street trees.

Waldemar