From:
Peter Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 22:36:20 -0500
At 12:18 AM 1/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I wrote a few months ago requesting suggestions for an interactive bee
>exhibit.  Thank you for all the replies I received.  I am hoping that
>some of you can help me once again.  Does anyone know how I can find a
>natural honeybee hive that could be put on display?  I personally have
>only seen them in pictures, and I assume that children are most familiar
>with the ones from which Pooh Bear thieves or those they might see in
>Honeycomb commercials.  The opposition between natural and human-made
>hives would be interesting and educational.

Hi Andrea,

For a natural bee hive you could take a hollowed out log, cut a portion of
it out and
replace the cut out portion with Plexiglas.  This would give you a "natural"
observation
hive.  Package bees could be introduced to your new natural hive.  This
would give you
an opportunity to observe the bees start a brand new colony.

The Academy of Natural Sciences, in Philadelphia, maintains a natural type
observation
hive.  I'll be going there next month to see the spider exhibit there.  I'll
see if I can take apicture of the hive for you.  Do you have a graphic image
viewer?  If you do I'll have the photo scanned and I'll send it to you via
email.

Pete, NJ