From:
"Van Roekel, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:43:34 -0600
A few years ago, we had an ice storm with high winds in late March, or
April.  Standing outside in the night, it sounded like distant gunfire, and
a lot of it.  It was the sound of branches and limbs breaking off of the
trees.  It was memorable for a lot of reasons.
We had a bee meeting a few days before, and this subject of maple honey was
brought up because we had one member who made maple syrup.  He was pretty
certain that bees would not take maple sap because of its low sugar content.

A couple of days after the ice storm, the bees were out, and they were
sucking up sap like there was no tomorrow.  Several of the beekeepers at the
next meeting brought it up, including the maple syrup producer.
It was too early in the season to obtain any honey, though, I have wondered
what it would have been like.
Roekel