From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 16:00:04 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Gerry Visel
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>   While corresponding with an international beekeeper, he mentioned
>using a product "BIPIN," that had Amitraz as the active (only?)
>ingredient.  It got dissolved in water and poured (?) on the bees between
>the frames, if I understood him correctly.

I can't say I've heard of this product, but here's a couple things that
you might find helpful. Check out Amitraz at <http://ace.orst.edu/cgi-
bin/mfs/01/pips/amitraz.p95>. In Europe it was/is used as a commercialy
produced fumigant strip for tracheal mites. It has now been produced and
EC registered as a contact strip (like Apistan) for varroa called
Apivar.

It would seem that in the last few years what I call an 'uncertain'
safety assessment has been reviewed and seems more favorable. <I can
hear you all now shouting 'no smoke without fire'>

I'd like to know what they did to make it water soluble, surely its
probably an emulsion, and used like Perizin/Apitol on the cluster.If so
control of dose and dispersal would be the weakness, never mind transfer
to honey.
In some respects it seems a viable alternative to the synthetic
pyrethriods if used as a hanging strip.
--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,