From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 20:24:00 GMT
HI all, Fall has been great here in California and we are having a early
Green Season, with above normal rains and temperatures, no bee clustering
yet, which does normally bring spring dwindling and weak hives come the
first bloom which is just weeks away in the early costal areas.

Back on the tread:

AD>American Foulbrood (AFB) is quietly shaping up -- once again -- to
  >be a major beekeeping challenge.  That is unless new antibiotics are

Not true here yet, and I have some doubts if it is something beekeepers
should worry about as most beekeepers still remove the colonies that do
show resistance to what ever they are using. TM is the only legal
treatment in California, but there are other products that could be used
if and when they are registered for use.

I am not challenging the one (1) paper from South America, or even the
similar papers from Europe as long as beekeepers practice some common
sense and remove the infected comb, (a minimum effort), there is no
worry that I can see from this view point.

I would add, but not in detail as I believe that the information has
been presented before, "the Laboratory and Field Studies" has been done
on the natural antibiotic (G), TYLOSIN, which is effective at very low
dosages against AMERICAN FOULBROOD disease. Can't say how it would work
on the Canadian or any other strains of the same disease, if you believe
that there are such animals. I am not all that sure, as I believe that
there are real environmental considerations to the development and spread
of AFB and it is more a beekeeper's disease then the plague some would
make it out to bee. This in no way is to state that if any beekeeper
does not take care of his bees that they will not die, and if they have
active AFB they will die because of it.

                        ttul the OLd Drone

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.
(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ Vereniging tot Bevordering van de Bijenteelt