From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 16:34:14 -0400
Dear Bill,

Regarding your statement:

"Correlation does not imply causation. That is one of the oldest scientific truths but which scientists still fail to observe."

No, we don't fail to observe this.  We note it as a good reason to mount experiments.  If there is strong correlative evidence (example:  Lots of people who smoke get lung cancer) then we test the correlation (Question: Does smoking cause lung cancer?  Hypothesis:  Smoking causes lung cancer.  Experiments designed, tested, proofs provided).  This takes TIME.  Years and years of it.

Also, please get it straight about such things as autism, about which I know quite a lot.  The completely off-base hoopla in the media about vaccines causing autism was NOT supported or instigated by working scientists!  The best work in that area by SCIENTISTS has to do with developmental gene expression that is altered by environmental triggers.  A topic that I'd be happy to discuss with you off-list.

On the topic of GMOs we are at the "Here are strong correlations" stage.  Don't jump to conclusions...it is now time to test the questions.  SCIENCE TAKES LOTS OF TIME TO DO!!! In the meanwhile, I for one think it is prudent to be cautious when strong correlations are observed...especially where human and environmental health are concerned, and here is where I applaud the EU.

Christina