Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:26:37 -0700
> So, I think together with the selection, we should pay attention that bees
> have enough of natural honey, containing that bacteria, and we should
> avoid treatments with chemicals, that kill beneficial bacteria.

Interesting leap.   Honey is anti-bacterial AFAIK, but on to the second
part... "chemicals, that kill beneficial bacteria".

This work is quite interesting, but contains words like "should" and
"probably" and presents a plausible theory.

It seems we think some LAB and their products should/could suppress AFB, but
apparently we do not know how to ensure that these LAB are applied reliably.
Yet, anyhow.  It seems that often they are not doing the job very reliably
or we would not be discussing this here, now.  And, is there an ideal level
of LAB, or are there adverse effects if they get out of control?

At the same time, we know for sure that some "chemicals", like
oxytetracycline (OTC) and Tylosin actually do prevent AFB development in
larvae and we know how to apply them in appropriate doses. That is not
saying that everyone does.  We know that overdosing and under-dosing
happens.

And I don't know, but I am sure someone reading knows: Are LAB affected much
by OTC and Tylosin?  It would be interesting if they are not.