From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 08:27:18 -0500
What kind of hive was in use in 1843?

In Bevan's book, he describes all the different types of hives in use, ranging from straw skeps to box hives with bars. He prefers the box hive, and gives very precise instructions on how to construct them. They are very similar to frame hives which Langstroth was presumably perfecting about the same time. What puzzles me is how they were able to successfully over winter such small colonies, the typical hive being about equivalent to a single story 8 frame hive. On the other hand, the prominent writers of the time kept bees in England, France, etc. which has milder winters than we do in New York and New England.

PLB