From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:26:31 -0500
Stan,
I once built a simple maze for the bees.  Had it at the County fair in
Maryland  USA.  I had the observation hive with a pipe to the outside.
Also had the maze with an outside pipe too, next to the pipe for the obs.
hive.  A little honey on the pipe at the entrance to the maze got the bees
started.  The maze had three sections with moveable glass over each
section.  Each section had a block, which was a different color and it was
removable also.  The blocks could be swapped around to change the maze.  A
top to a plastic tub was put in at the front and as the bees located the
honey, in it I moved it to the next section of the maze.  I could have done
quite a bit of studying with that thing, but at the fair I didn't have
time.

But I was just facinated with that thing as I watched the bees manuever
through the thing.  And when I moved the blocks around the bees would try
to go the same way as before until they figuired out that it had changed.
I watched some bees ( as much as I had time for) and they never seemed to
find their way.  Of course my observations were for only a short time and
in no way constituted any scientific evidence.

The one thing the public liked about it was that while the bees were
feeding on the honey, you could remove the glass and pet the bees!  The
kids were simply amazed.

And you know what else ---  the bees didn't fly when they filled up with
the honey ---- they walked out the same way they came in.

billy bee

> From: Stan Sandler

Remarkably, bees can be taught to