From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:12:17 -0600
Hello Randy & All,
All I have to go on is prior experience and testing. 2 lbs is a bunch of
bees. 7000 but who's counting.

  Bees writhing,
> tongues out.  No other dead bees on the ground in the yards.  Obviously
> happened the night before.
> Took samples.  No nosema.  Bromenshenk found no unusual virus load

Key words:
no unusual & no detectable pesticide load

No unusual virus load but I suspect BPV was found in samples. Actually turns
up in most bee samples. So common many simply ignore the paralysis virus
being in samples.

When I see what Randy saw I do two quick and dirty tests. I see if the sick
bees can fly. If not paralysis virus is suspect. In late stages bees can not
hold on to comb. Place bees on comb held horizontal and then slowly turn
vertical. If bees fall off I would suspect a paralysis virus as a *possible*
cause.

Surely pesticide issues can produce the same symptoms but if samples turned
up *zero* pesticides I would say you could rule pesticides out.
HOWEVER if PPM or even PPB of pesticides are found then you can't totally
rule out pesticide these days.

If no bee paralysis virus was found in samples then you can rule out virus
but if BPV was detected at any level in my opinion you can not completely
rule out virus. If the problem is found in a hive with a growing varroa load
I would suspect virus.

Today if a hive has 5 or more varroa in a roll in my opinion virus can raise
its ugly head.

Another test I use for virus is to gather some of the apparently healthy
bees and cage. If virus then all die within 8 hours.

Now I have no PHD by my name and am only a simple beekeeper but I have seen
about every problem a bee hive has to offer.

Hope the post helps Randy! Keep doing those articles!
bob