From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 13:01:50 -0500
Bob said:
> .>>> >My rule of thumb with formic (as is Bill R.'s) is you need to see
> some
> .>>> *slight* brood kill for the kill level to be right which is easy to
> see

Glad  Bill Ruzicka answered. I guess his opinion has changed since the days
when myself and Glenn Davis helped with his presentations.

So I will re phrase and say I personally use a *slight* brood kill (not
queen damage)  to judge when formic level is correct for the best varroa
kill for me.

In fall after the honey flow a couple days worth of unsealed brood is worth
the cost to get a good varroa kill.

I might add that I know of no other way to prove *to myself* the formic will
provide the results I am looking for. My opinion.

All treatments for varroa are simply beekeepers tools. One can apply and
there is no guarantee you will get a varroa kill. Resistance to fluvalinate
and amatraz is U.S wide. Formic & thymol can work great or give poor
control.

I test before and after ALL treatments . The makers of apistan, checkmite,
apiguard, api life var & MAQS will not return your money if their product
does not control your varroa!

Thanks to Bill for his post. The most information I know about formic I
learned from Bill!

bob