From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2017 00:21:15 -0400
Where are your faculty reps? It is true that an institution, company, etc. can require such an agreement, and if the employee signs it, it is binding.  But, it seems to me that Cornell is looking clearly looking after its own interest, not those of it's employees.  This is an outdated management and business model.

They should post a warning - take a job at Cornell and you give up any innovation.  Certainly doesn't provide much incentive to be creative.

For any bright professional, this requirement that should be sufficient to cross Cornell off the list for consideration as an employer.  Of course, if one thinks that they will never have anything worth a patent or a copyright or a trademark, I guess that it then becomes a non-issue.

I particularly like:

> The transfer of Cornell inventions to the marketplace ... can best be assured by providing the university with ownership of Cornell inventions and related intellectual property.

Sorry, but that's B.S.    Cornell should be partnering with their innovators - successful transfer often depends on the input and the passion of the innovator(s); something an institution generally lacks.

I may work for a state University, but they treat us much better.  That isn't to say that the faculty didn't initially have to fight for the IP rights, or a fair share of them and any profits.