From:
Mark Burlingame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:28:14 -0400
I would just like to comment on people's dismay with NOD's claim (I am assuming they are claiming this) that MAQS have a unique ability to kill mites in the capped brood, if I am stating things correctly.  As a chemist, my opinion is that there is no justification for making any claims about MAQS beyond what any other formic treatment can achieve.  However, my assumption is that MAQS offer a uniquely easy application of formic acid that provides a specific dosage and release rate into the hive.  Also, I think it is reasonable to assume that while they are wrapped in plastic, the formic acid is going to slowly diffuse out of the packaging and over time the total amount of active ingredient is going to lessen.  Also, I have notices that the paper wrapper on older (>6mos) tends to become very fragile.  If that is an integral part of the release rate then older strips might perform poorly for both reasons.  Mark