From:
"Guy F. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INFORMED Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:52:32 -0500
At 12:16 PM 3/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
>From:          kferner <[log in to unmask]>
>To:            [log in to unmask]
>
>Hi, I am working on doing a presentation on beekeeping for kids in
>school and libraries.  I am looking for honey sample packs to be able to
>pass out to the kids to taste honey, or something along that line, and
>also for anything else I could use to show these kids about beekeeping.
>My husband is a beekeeper and I am his "helper" so I already have a suit
>and tools and I will use a hive box and a super with frames to "try" to
>explain the process, keeping it as simple as possible.  Anyone know of
>any other educational tools I might use to help create this program??  I
>remember seeing some advertised in one of our beekeeping journals, but
>can't find it.
>
>THanks for any help.
>Karen

Karen, I do about ten of these a year in and around Charlottesville,
Virginia.  I take a squeeze bottle of honey with me, and it is the last
event of a 20-25 minute pitch on honey bees.  I first ask if anyone isn't
supposed to eat candy or sweets, then tell them that they should get in line
and stick out their cleanest finger (that's a laugh watching them deciding
which is best,)  lick the honey off IMMEDIATELY, and then go to the sink to
wash it off.  I put a drop or two on each finger, being careful not to touch
anyone's finger.  I hold their hand and fingers so they don't lift up and
touch the spout.

Early on in the session, I show them a frame of foundation, one that is
drawn out, and the third full of honey, and explain what has happened and how.

Typically I go to K and 1st grade classes, with an occasional event at a
nursing home or the Senior Center.  My last time at a nursing home, one lady
kept asking, "Are you done yet?"  Doesn't do much for morale!  I don't
recommend nursing homes.

Guy F. Miller   "Start every day with a smile, and get it over with."
Charlottesville. VA                             W.C. Fields