From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:18:02 -0400
Hi Keth Paul and all

Last year, with our early spring, I had high mite counts in July so
treated with mitewipe pads late July through mid-August after
removing the summer honey to the extractor.  I checked mite levels
again in early October, after the autumn honey had been removed, and
found that mites were high again, or my formic treatment had failed.
I used Apivar(first chemical strips used since 1999) and lost only
one hive that I can blame on varroa(strong hive, great production,
found dead early winter).  This year, with late spring(last frost May
28), I find almost no varroa, so will forgo formic acid mitewipes
unless my next varroa count, late next week, indicates otherwise.  I
use oxalic in early December.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada