From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 00:53:20 -0400
Jim Moore DTN276-9448 ogo1/e17 508-496-9448 wrote:

>         I am thinking of keeping bee specimens. By race,
> color, size ect.  I would like to keep specimens to do
> comparisons over time. Does anyone have a prescribed
> methed of preservation?
>
>         Other than photography is there a way to preserve
> the color of the bee while preserving the bee. Maybe
> multiple methods, one for color (encased in platic) , and
> another of close examination (pinned or in alcohol).
>
>         Has anyone encased bee speciments in plastic? If
> so how did appear and age?

I also would be interested in anyone's experiences with bee
preservation.  My standard air dried pinned specimens lost their color
and their size, becoming small shriveled black things without
distinguishing characteristics.  It's even hard to tell queens from
workers!  I haven't tried alcohol, but I assume that they will hold
their size in it, but I don't know about color.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA