From:
Janko Bozic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:02:09 +0000
This message was first send to Michael Reddel. Perhaps someone else
on the list might be interested in this topic as wrote Michael
latter.

Anyway, do you have anywhere in the world organized youth beekeeping?

Message followes:

  I started with beekeeping through beekeeping projects in primary
school. Actually, many schools in Slovenia had special out of class
programs for kids. Such classes we are calling hear circles(could
say clubs). Usually kids meet their beekeeping teacher
(usually a beekeeper) once per week through the whole school year.
When it is possible they are also working with bees. This classes are
possible in all 8 years of primary school. Also some high schools have
the same activity. Interesting is also meeting of all clubs from the
state at the end of school year. They have a competition with
practical prices. First tim usually gets a hive.
   Currently I'm working on competition questions. Actually kids are
learning a lot about bees and beekeeping. They have also a book which
should be updated. Hopefully we will get a new one soon.

          With regards,

                 Janko

Dr. Janko Bozic
University of Ljubljana
Biotechnical Faculty, Department of Biology
Vecna pot 111, p.p. 2995
1001 Ljubljana
SLOVENIA
tel. (386) 61-265-584, (386) 61-265-585