Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:48:30 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (5 lines)
I've been pollinating almonds for 25 years.  I normally place 1500 hives of my own and take on 2-3 semi-loads of out of state bees (ND) in the almonds, total about 3000 hives in. Last year it all changed. The beekeepers that I have dealt with in the past wanted a 50/50 split of the rental fee, they said "how much do you need to put a couple of gallons of feed on and move them in the field". Never to say, I decided not to continue with those out of state bees . After talking with a good truck driving friend of mine, he told me that he had helped haul a total of seven semi-loads (544-816 singles and doubles) of dead outs back to Texas.  The ND beekeepers now have a different view of California. The hives they did rent were no where near the $150 mark they thought they were going to get.  I tried to tell them that three rounds of pollen, lbs. each, and three gallons of 50/50 syrup would be needed but they laughed. One told me, money talks and b.s. walks.  I wonder how much he spent on trucking bees to Calif. and  dead outs to Texas?  As it stands right now , a lot of growers are P.O. about the quality of hives, some used to be my old growers before I down sized, I told them , you get what you pay for. Inexperience and greed on the beekeeper behalf will result in chaos. If the bees are there, the rest will follow. I'm at $150 rental rate. It's easy to fly like an eagle when your surrounded by turkey's.
P.S  I know that guy Randy O., good Keeper.

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2