From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2013 11:37:05 -0400
[log in to unmask] writes:

Bravo  Jerry!

Thanks for spelling that out.  Excellent.

QA/QC  or GLP should be in every curriculum for any engineer  and
scientist.  If we at the Universities don't teach and follow it,  neither will our
students.  Most private companies hiring chemists,  engineers, biologists,
etc. often have to re-train new employees, because this  critical concept often
wasn't taught at the University level.

A few years ago, I was talking to a graduate student who did get into the
pesticide and bees research area, and whose work was getting  considerable
attention by the beekeepers.  I asked if he/she was  following GLP - answer:
My prof said not to worry about that.  I then  asked if he/she  knew what
the QA/QC and GLP terms meant - he/she  hadn't a clue.

Trying to simplify, I asked if measuring temperature, how  did  he/she
know that the reading was correct.  Brightening considerably,  he/she said they
put the thermometer  in the lab incubator.   Asked how he/she knew  the
incubator was accurate, he/she said they checked  it using the  thermometer!

There is nothing about academic research that says we get a free pass on
quality.  Many academic scientists do  use  this  approach.  Unfortunately,
many do not.

Jerry

As per statistics, there are similar guidelines; let me talk to my in
house  expert.