Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 19:57:52 -0600
> Why use all that smoke?  I haven't lit a smoker for over a year now
> and have come to the conclusion that using a smoker is a placebo that
> calms the beekeeper so that he emits less stress-related pheromones
> that enrage the bees.

We're not supposed to feed the trolls, and I assume that everyone else
knows the answer, BUT, just in case the answer is not obvious to all,
the experienced beekeeper could see it was prudent in the circumstances
and had the necessary tool at the ready.

It is good practice when inspecting to assume nothing and not get anyone
stung.  Sometimes a puff is necessary, sometimes not.  Sometimes no
amount of smoke is enough and it is time to take the hint, go somewhere
else, and come back later.

Unlike some, most of us find that having a smoker and a veil at hand is
prudent, and we use them when indicated. No sense being macho.

Anyone who has opened enough hives enough times knows that given enough
time, odds are that some day in the fullness of time, even a nice tame
hive may suddenly try to kill you.