Date:
Fri, 27 May 2011 08:39:16 -0400
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM, J. Waggle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would agree with Chris that perhaps
> the trap may be a bit small.  I prefer to
> use at least an 8 frame hive body or 10.

Thanks to you both.

Reading the Cornell pamphlet I seem to be good except for the height (they
say 15 feet),  more shade (mine has half day of sun), and the interior, as
you both noted.

I will remove the separator. Their best results were with a 1.4 cubic foot
box which is exactly the room in a deep. Also they seal the top while mine
is conventional inner cover, homasoate board and outer cover. Not sure if
that makes a big difference. They do mention heat as a major issue, which
shade keeps under control.

Interesting that most who I have spoken to who capture swarms with a trap
have methods that vary widely but they still seem to work. I had one swarm
set up shop in a shed where I stored some old deeps. Violated every "rule"
except size of the cavity.

So I will set up another, simpler, trap using all the specs of the Cornell
pamphlet and see what happens.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine