From:
Carlos Aparicio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 20:06:52 +0300
At 09:27 AM 19/05/1998 -0400, Rod Billett wrote:
>My question is  Why are they attempting to propolize the bottom board and
>landing board.  They are well painted, and quite smooth with no holes,
>scratches, or cuts.  Also, I have not seen many ants crawling around the
>landing or bottom board.

        The floor is a critical part of the beehive.  Possibly the bees
prefer in the floor propolis  to painting.
The propolis has antiseptic and mechanical  properties  that  can defend the
bees from   their small enemies, perhaps even the varroa.
I put on some beehives floor a mesh for propolis capture.
I can't report results yet.

        CARLOS APARICIO