From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 02:19:06 -0300
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM, Stellio Matson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> "Clothianidin is completely degraded in soil under
> all conceivable conditions."
> http://tinyurl.com/a9wr76c
>
> That is exactly my point, Paul.  Bayer makes this completely unsupported
claim.  But if you look at the opinion of the EPA reviewing the studies
they have presented for product registration in:

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/chem_search/cleared_reviews/csr_PC-044309_2-Nov-10_b.pdf

at Page 14 under "Uncertainties" (Problems?) , three of the five have to do
with soil accumulation from repeated usage.

On page 30 the half lives are given for clothianidin in ten different soil
types.  Two are less than a year but the other 8 are more, some far more,
and in Fugay soil type 6,931 days (about twenty years).

But the statement by Bayer that you quoted is completely truthful.  It
doesn't give a time.  An application of clothianidin in Fugay soil WILL be
completely degraded (at a 95% confidence level) in about a century.   20
yrs.  50%   40 yrs 25%  60 yrs 12.5%  80 yrs 6.2%  100 yrs 3.6% still.
Another toxic legacy for my grandchildren.  That was calculated at 21
degrees C; might break down a bit quicker with global warming.

The old "Admire" label use to caution not to use again the next year (half
life 455 days here).  Will they caution not to use clothianidin in Fugay
soil again in the next 30 years?

That document  (I have been quoting) is not a Bayer promotion, but neither
is it something put out by some anti-Bayer group.  It is from the people
who register products and are supposedly qualified to evaluate them.  And
the persistence troubles them.  A good instinct, IMHO, when you see
problems is to be PRECAUTIONARY.
Stan

Stan